No announcement yet.

Lpr

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone has been so helpfu. I do not know what UES is. I have had problems with my ears for 15 months. It has only been in the past 2 months that I have been given this diagnosis of LPR. However, I know of no one with my symptoms with the mucus in the nose and ears. I am hoping this diagnosis is correct because at this point, I do not even know where else to go or what to do. I have tried pravicid 15mg. and otc zantac 75 mg. I have been trying to get my doctor to return my call for 2 weeks to try something else. I wrote a letter because he has not been responsive. I want to change doctors but cannot find one at this time who is familiar with this problem. I could always go to a GI doctor but that would mean waiting a couple of months to get in as this particular specialty is extremely busy. I have private insurance, but nonetheless, it is difficult. I feel very grateful to have found this message board. I do not have heartburn or any of the classic symptoms of GERD. I am going to look into this PH test but am not quite sure how it will change the outcome. Is the treatment different after knowing the results of the PH? Thank you for any help anyone can give me. I am more that appreciative of the support I am finding here. One thing that concerns me is the need to continue with meds, after finding one that works, for such a long period of time.

Comment

UES = upper esophageal sphincter ,
      also cricopharyngeus.

You can search for these terms , I also remember
      some posts on the old board and some good links
      to online articles where this is explained.

tell me, if you want them but can't find them

the PH test will reveal if and how much reflux you have.
      People here recommended to insist on a double-probe-PH
      test in case of LPR.

I assume that doctors or/and insurance companies want this test
      before doing any treatment.

Comment

[i]Originally posted by doctormom [/i]
        [B]Everyone has been so helpfu. I do not know what UES is. I have had problems with my ears for 15 months. It has only been in the past 2 months that I have been given this diagnosis of LPR. However, I know of no one with my symptoms with the mucus in the nose and ears. I am hoping this diagnosis is correct because at this point, I do not even know where else to go or what to do. I have tried pravicid 15mg. and otc zantac 75 mg. I have been trying to get my doctor to return my call for 2 weeks to try something else. I wrote a letter because he has not been responsive. I want to change doctors but cannot find one at this time who is familiar with this problem. I could always go to a GI doctor but that would mean waiting a couple of months to get in as this particular specialty is extremely busy. I have private insurance, but nonetheless, it is difficult. I feel very grateful to have found this message board. I do not have heartburn or any of the classic symptoms of GERD. I am going to look into this PH test but am not quite sure how it will change the outcome. Is the treatment different after knowing the results of the PH? Thank you for any help anyone can give me. I am more that appreciative of the support I am finding here. One thing that concerns me is the need to continue with meds, after finding one that works, for such a long period of time. [/B]
        Unless you live in a city, you may not be able to find a local doctor that is familiar with your problem and has experience in dealing with it. the pH test needs to be a "double probe" test, in which they put one probe just above the stomach, and the other one just above the upper esophageal sphincter (which is higher up in the esophagus). That way, if you are refluxing up above the upper sphincter, they can tell it and it might be a strong indicator that you needed surgery.

I waited two months to get into a dr in st. louis since I basically live in boondocks usa.
        You might try bumping up your OTC zantac to 150 mg (two tabs), as that is the Rx dose. If it was me and if I had no side effects notable, I would take two tabs at least 3 times a day for a while just to see if that would help significantly.

some of us do not have classic symptoms of GERD. I did not. I had pain, but don't have heartburn or indigestion. I guess we are all wired differently with different symptoms and problems.

Comment

Believe it or not, I do live in a major city, Los Angeles. The first doctor I ever saw for this 15 months ago, is the doctor who operated on Rush Limbaugh. He is also Ronald Reagan's doctor. There is no shortage of doctors, just doctors who don't want to take the time unless you have an important name. I have been to UCLA, USC, Beverly Hills and everything in between. The insurance companies pay them so little that they don't want to spend more than 15 minutes with you. That is not enough time to take a good history and do a proper exam. If they wanted to spend the time to be good detectives, I think I could get to the bottom of it. For a doctor to not return calls when I am trying to find the right meds, is uncaring. If 15 mg. prevacid and 75 mg. zantac is too strong, I don't know what can work. I am very worried about all of this since I am the only one with these symptoms. It is making me think I have something very serious going on that has not be detected yet. I have not been to a GI doctor but maybe that is where I belong. I am just too scared. You have all been so caring and supportive. Thank you.

Comment

[i]Originally posted by The Pard [/i]
            [B]Hi Doctormom,

There is a possibility of your trouble with sound being due to nerve damage. Sometimes a concusion
            or a less forceful blow to the head can cause
            trouble. Exposure to loud noise can sometimes be the start to tinnitus. Are you using a noise machine to mask the sound when trying to sleep?

Have you had an MRI to rule out a tumor or other
            growth pressing on the hearing nerve?
            Neurontin or Tegretol can sometimes lessen the
            sensitivity to sound. It may give you some relief
            while you keep looking.
            Xanax is also able to reduce tinnitus.
            When I was a child I can remeber having an ear that hurt like a toothache when sound was received. It was an infection.
            If you have never had a blood test for mycoplasma, ureaplasma and chlamydia it could be helpful. (especially if other symptoms are present and other tests for infection are negative.)

Since you are thin, vitamin defficiency must be
            considered and ruled out.

If you have no other signs of nerve damage like
            tingling, burning or itching of the extremities, vision changes, fibromyalgia etc. then it is less likely to be a systemic problem like Lyme disease. If it is worsening with time, then you may need to rule out this less likely cause.
            A neurologist is a better choice than an MD.

Here is a link which shows how little is really known about treating the hyperacusis. [url]http://www.tinnitus-hyperacusis.com/About/Hyperacusis/hyperacusis.html[/url]

I wish you luck...
            The Pard [/B]
            Since you mentioned Chlamydia, could you clarify the difference in the venereal desease and the pneumonia Chlamydia and the one you mentioned here?

I have read that lesions in the heart, leading to blockages can be caused by pneumonia with the Chlamydia bacteria involved. A year before my heart attack I had a severe case of pneumonia. No one ever tested me for the strain or even mentioned the chance of it causing a lesion.

The only Chlamydia I had ever heard of before this was a venereal disease.

Thanks...Beverly

Comment

Hi Beverly,

Chlamydia is the same organism, but it can affect
              different parts of the body.

It is possible to have someone who is infected sneeze in your vicinity and you can be infected
              if your immunities are vulnerable.
              It does not require sexual contact.

[url]http://www.drmirkin.com/archive/6852.html[/url]
              [url]http://www.drmirkin.com/archive/7056.html[/url]
              [url]http://www.drmirkin.com/morehealth/g107.htm[/url]
              [url]http://www.drmirkin.com/joints/9094.html[/url]
              [url]http://www.drmirkin.com/archive/7162.html[/url]
              [url]http://www.drmirkin.com/morehealth/g144.htm[/url]

I hope that you found the info that you need.

The Pard

Comment

[i]Originally posted by The Pard [/i]
                [B]Hi Beverly,

Chlamydia is the same organism, but it can affect
                different parts of the body.

It is possible to have someone who is infected sneeze in your vicinity and you can be infected
                if your immunities are vulnerable.
                It does not require sexual contact.

[url]http://www.drmirkin.com/archive/6852.html[/url]
                [url]http://www.drmirkin.com/archive/7056.html[/url]
                [url]http://www.drmirkin.com/morehealth/g107.htm[/url]
                [url]http://www.drmirkin.com/joints/9094.html[/url]
                [url]http://www.drmirkin.com/archive/7162.html[/url]
                [url]http://www.drmirkin.com/morehealth/g144.htm[/url]

I hope that you found the info that you need.

The Pard [/B]
                Thank You so much for the info. Wonder why my really good cardiologist would not want to test and see if I still have the germ in my system that could cause another heart attack? It is really sad. Since I have approached the subject before and he blew me off, I wonder how I would address it again?

Is there a good location such as this for Heart Patients on the Internet?

Thanks Again.....Beverly

Comment

Hi Beverly,

Print those reports that have the journal referrences related to the heart and underline
                  in RED all that applies to you. Take them to your doc on the next visit and simply ask why you were
                  scorned for mentioning it before. Don't be afraid of hurting his feelings like he did yours.

The journal referrences should be enough to make him take the articles seriously. It should be enough to at least get you tested for chlamydia.
                  If I had a heart attack I would be insisting on taking either Azithromycin or doxycycline for as long as it takes. You don't have to wait for
                  more reasons.

Good luck..
                  The Pard

Comment

Hi,
                    A doctor from Scripps Clinic in La Jolla, Ca. called me. I have never met him but he heard about my story. He is trying to set me up with a doctor in Santa Monica. He explained to me the process of why mucus gets into the E-tubes. Apparently, it is not uncommon with LPR patients. I couldn't write down fast enough when he was explaining but I did write the word Water Brash. This basically explains what the mucus is. I felt so relieved that someone actually told me this is not uncommon. If he doctor in Santa Monica does not treat this then I think I will go to San Diego for a few days and be treated by this wonderful human being. He did not know me and had the kindness to spend 15 minutes on the phone with me and told me to call him in the future if I had any questions. I have his home phone number. It seems the bigger the doctors are, the more apt they are to help. I am just passing this info on in the event that someone else has these symptoms and needs some help. He feels, as some of you have suggested, that the next step is the PH test. Thank you everyone for all your help. I will keep you posted. Sandy

Comment

Ahh finally a post worked. I just wanted to say that I read a report recently that showed a 100% disruption in the inner ear's ability to move fluids out from between cells, thus causing a number of complaints not the least of which is that feeling of fullness and equalization problems. That 100% disruption occurs when stomach acid reaches the tubes via LPR. I had this for years and didn't know the cause. Once the LPR is under control however the ear returns to normal...thankfully. My ear has not felt this good in a dozen years. I've had the LPR under control for about two months now.

Comment

Gord,
                        If possible, can you please, please tell me where that article is that you are referring to. I am amazed that ENT's do not know this. If you read my other posts, you will see that I have been to 20 doctors. Thank you so much for that information.

Comment

Gord, P.S.
                          During this period of time, did your ears ever hiss as a result of the fluid? I actually have mucus in my ears that at some point within a couple of days, I am able to blow out my nose. Then it builds again. Everything is so interconnected, it is no wonder when one thing breaks down, other things breakdown as well.

Comment

I'm sorry doctormom, I didn't save the article and I found it on an Internet search. It is a relatively new piece of information. My ENT was familiar with it. The researcher did not know why the acid interrupted the inner ear's ability to move fluids but only found a 100% disruption in every subject.

The key here is to lower the acid with PPI. I use Prilosec. Control anxiety. I use Xanax. Change eating habits to reduce the severity of reflux. Eat less more often. Don't eat for four or five hours before going to bed. And use a bed wedge if you have to. These things will all help the acid from reaching the ear. Good luck.

Comment

Do you know anything about milk products? I am not allergic to dairy and only use soy milk products. However, I feel it is also a culprit. Do you know what else could be in this milk product that could cause a problem with LPR? I decided to not use it for awhile to see if it made a difference. It is too soon to tell at this point. I drink one cup of tea for breakfast but am thinking about eliminating that as well. Have not been able to find a PPI that doesn't cause me a problem. Also having trouble finding a doctor. So many ENT's don't really treat this. I live in the L.A. and you would think that there would be plenty to choose from. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

For anyone who has raised their bed about 6 inches off the floor, did you slip down on the bed? I am going to try raising my bed up on blocks but I feel like I will slip down. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you

Comment

Working...
                                X