I need some serious advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some serious advice

Ok if anyone can be of help to me I would appreciate it. I was diagnosed with gerd last year after my second baby. I was complaining of my salivary gland under my jaw hurting, lump feeling in my throat, sore throat, hoarsness and my neck hurting. Well I started taking aciphex and I was 100% better. Well.....I got pregnant again after being on it for only 3 months. I had to get off of it...I was told..and so I did. Well now I am 5 months pregnant. I started feeling reflux symptoms slowly coming back. Then I noticed my salivary gland swollen under my nose. My tongue was swollen and burning and I had teeth marks in it. My mouth was burning and my salivary gland under my neck started hurting again. Well...I headed off the the ENT doctor. He treated me for a bacteria infection...that antibiotic did nothing. Then he said I had thrush and then he perscribed me some other crap. ANd then more stuff. I was fed up....I felt like a ginny pig! So today I went to my regular doctor who knows me very well! He said its all from REFLUX. Has anyone ever had these symptoms? Swollen and burning tongue and burning mouth? Salivary glands swollen and hurting? Please help me. I realize that LPR reflux is pretty nasty stuff. Is it more harmful then GERD? My doctor today said its the worse kind to have. Please help me.

"I was complaining of my salivary gland under my jaw hurting, lump feeling in my throat, sore throat, hoarsness and my neck hurting."

These were my complaints exactly when I was diagnosed with LPR (laryngopharyngeal reflux). I was taking prescription strength pepcid at the time for GERD. My GI doctor added Nexium and the symptoms went away. If I try and start decreasing my meds the symptoms start returning. The ENT exams show nothing except weak vocal cords.

Some people also experience tongue and mouth problems as well as sinus problems from LPR. Has your doctor talked with you about any prescription or non-prescription reflux meds
    that can be taken while pregnant?

Comment

thanks

Wow! That makes me feel better knowing that we are having the same symtpms with LPR. My ENT told me there was no way my salivary gland under my jaw would hurt from LPR. But my family doctor said it most defintely could. Have you read any material about mouth and tongue problems with LPR? I want to do my research. My OB doc says Zantac 2x a day is fine. My family doc. says no. He wanted me to take Gavison as needed. He said its not absorbed into the body like Zantac is. I have found that eating low carbs and cutting sugars and too much carbs helps my reflux so I will probably try that and take gavison. Thanks for your input!

Comment

Stacy,
        Are you sure it wasn't the neck lymph nodes that were bothering you? My nodes were sore....some people refer to it as swollen glands. I felt like I was coming down with the flu about 2-3 days out of every 2 weeks followed by some hoarsness. When my neck wasn't sore, I felt a scratchyness in my throat that tickled.

There has been some discussion on this forum about tongue problems. You might want to do a search. I did have what my dentist called a "geographic tongue" before I was diagnosed with GERD. It was blotchy and sore at times. Now, looking back, it most likely was the silent reflux.

I'll check my list of articles and sites and I will post what I find on these types of LPR symptoms.

Comment

[url]http://www.aafp.org/afp/990901ap/873.html[/url]

[url]http://www.entjournal.com/html/article_2_0209.html[/url]

[url]http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/968784529.html[/url]

[url]http://www.thevoicecenter.com/reflux.html[/url]

[url]http://www.voice-center.com/reflux.html[/url]

Comment

Well I believe that the glands right under your jaw are salivary glands. After I had my last baby my doc said they were swollen and he sent me to my ENT and he said they were not. But I took some test and found out I had gerd. My glands hurt in my neck also on the side I had the lump in my throat on. My right side. Those are right underneath my salivary glands. I believe that I probably have the geographic tongue.....swollen and burns with teeth marks on it! Thank you for all those articles....I didnt see anything with all these other symptoms that I have been having. I just dont want to be missing something that could be serious.....I also have a salivary gland swollen right under my nose. It's hard to believe that reflux could do that but my doc seems to think so. Thanks again! Stacy

Comment

LPR

StacyBrevin,

your symptoms are exactly the same a mine were. Lots of throat pain, scratchiness, sore jaw, sore mouth and tonge. I felt like there was always something stuck on my tounge and it was very bothersome. I aslo experienced the neck tightness and choking sensation along with burning from the stomach all the way up to my throat and mouth. I would wake up (if I could sleep first) in the morning with acid in my mouth. I tried a lot of meds (Nexium, Aciphex, Protonix, Prilosec, Prevacid, Axid) and nothing helped. No matter what I did the symptoms were always there and I developed a lot fo anxiety from it, making my condition much worse. I decided to have the Lap Nissen done and I am now recovering from it. I still have throat problems as I had before Fundo, but they are getting better. I was told they would take months to heal and they are definitely taking their time hehe. I am 7 weeks post ops. I don't have burning that much anymore and I can sleep better now. I am also working on getting my anxiety under control because I know that it is making me feel much worse. I am not saying that you should do the surgery but I think it's something worth looking into, especially if you continue to feel like this and if you fail to respond to medicat treatment as I did.

Comment

Thank you for your information. I did marvelous on aciphex before I got pregnant but I had to get off of it. I guess its not considered safe during pregnancy. It took 7 weeks to work though. It has been 5 months since I have been off of it and I slowly started getting bad again. I was in denial though. I have been on zantac for 1 week now. I am going to continue taking. Hopefully I will see some good results. So was your mouth and tongue sore due to acid? Is that what your doctoe said or is that what you believed to be the truth? Thanks again! Stacy

Comment

Get blood test done.

Hi there!

I just wanted to offer you some advice. I also have GERD and am suffering. My symptoms just started 8 months ago.

2 years ago when I was pregnant with my daughter, I started getting a swollen, sore bumpy tongue. I was in agony. The doctor just kept giving me antibiotics (heaven forbid they admit that they don't have a clue). I did some research and found out that a lack of Vitamin B12 causes this tongue disorder. (Lacking this vitamin during pregnancy is common).
                  I showed the info to my doctor. She did a blood test and sure enough the B12 was really low. So I just took some extra B12 and ate foods rich in B12 and VOILA back to normal.
                  I'm not saying this is definately the problem with you but it's worth a try. Ask your doctor.
                  Good luck and congratulations.

Comment

i need serious advice

wow finaly i found peaple with LPR it drive me crazy i some time dont know what to do as i have the same symptoms burning toung sore throat lump in the throat daily daily ph study confirmed acid reflux as i never feel any heartburn ppi and h2 blocker dont help at all no matter of the dose even i changed my life style and do fasting the burning mouth and burning lump in the throat made my life up side down .done the stupid failed stretta which i beliave is not good for LPR but may good for GERD .after 4 month of failed stretta daily chest burn i shall have fund soon but ascared to death if it fail i also cannt tolarate the pain any more as i have been suffering 3 years i alsotake anti deppressant LEXABRO any advice hani
                    GOD bless or gerderds and i hope we all get well soon

Comment

To HANI

Hi, I also failed stretta and then developed bad refluex into the throat. I had all the symptoms I can think of (sore tonge and mouth, burning in the throat, irritated and scratchy throat, breathing problems, limp in the throat, neck and throat tightness and so on.) I actually only had heartburn and regurgitation before Stretta and after that I started to get all the throat symptoms. I used Nexium, Aciphex, Axid, Protonix, Prilosec and nothing worked so I did the FUNDO (7 weeks ago) as I couldn't take feeling like that anymore. I am still recovering and still have the thorat symptoms, but they are reduced. I don't have burning anymore (maybe sometimes) and the throat feels better overall. I know it takes long time for everything to heal so I am just staying positive and hoping it will all heal soon. I also realized that part of the problem was and still is anxiety and panic attack so I am taking Lorazepam and my doctor prescribed Paxil and I started taking it a week ago. I believe FUNDO will be good choice for you HANI, you will be fine and will feel better. Don't think all the negative before the surgery, think positively and you will be fine. But remember that the throat problems you are having will not the fixed the day you have the surgery. It takes months and could be frustrating attimes, but it does get better. Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

NEED serios advice

THANKS alot for y feeling i shall go for fundo soon ,get well and keep posting.hani

Comment

FOr Ruza

Thank you for your information. I too read that on the internet. Were you pregnant at the time? Were you taking prenantal vitamins? Who would I get to test me? My OB? Wouldnt my prenatal be enough? Please write back. Thanks so much!

Comment

Ask you OB or GP

Hi!
                            I feel so bad for you. It must be so hard for you.
                            Yes, I was exactly 5 months preg. when it started. That was hell. I could only tolerate water (even that burned). It went away a 1 1/2 months later because I was caught it and adjusted my diet a bit.
                            Yes, I was on prenatal vitamins. Prenatal vitamins usually are enough but you know that our bodies do weird things when pregnant. I'm not suggesting you take more vitamins but eat more foods rich in B12. Ask either doctor to test you. (Ask the nicer one). You know how some doctors just go "ya, ya your fine". Ask the doctor that is kind and will listen more.
                            If you have anymore question don't hesitate to ask.
                            Ruza

Comment

Thanks for your advice. So your tongue burned and you had teeth marks in your tongue? You said bumpy.....I was just making sure it was teeth marks....To be honest I really dont want to bother any of my doctors. They look at you like you are crazy and you dont know what your talking about. Can an OB doc. test for low B12? Does iron have anything to do with it? My last two pregnancys I took extra iron pills and I havent with this pregnancy. I was wondering if that had anything to do with it. What foods have B12 in them and how much extra b12 did you take and where did you get it at? Hey.....I will ask my OB to test me the next time I see him in about 3 weeks! He can look at me like I am crazy......and he'll probably be right. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                              X