Low carb versus SCD diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low carb versus SCD diet

Hello, I am new to the forum. I am a 33 year old professional singer and LPR has has been devastating to my life.

My LPR started last June and I have had a horrible sore throat that fluctuates from extremely painful to a dull, throbbing pain. My doctor put me on prilosec in the am and then nexium at night for 5 months and that did nothing. I am now on 2x day of protonix as of four weeks ago. No difference yet. I took a 24 hour ph study that showed excessive reflux.

I initially followed the reflux diet with no relief. Coffee and peanut butter (which I gave up in June 08) seem to be the only foods that really bother me. Otherwise, I am the same whether I do a juice fast or eat a full meal. In fact, liquids seem to bother me more. If I really good with my diet I am no better than if I eat crap all day.

So, I have started the SCD diet (I also developed IBSD during all of this) and have read that it can help with LPR. I also am interested in the low carb diet. I have tried these both before and didn't see much relief.

So my question is: Has anyone seen relief on the SCD diet? How long before the low carb diet started to help?

Also, my hair has been falling out since all of this started, and I don't believe it is related to medication because I went two months without any medication at all and still had hair loss. Has anyone else experienced this? Whole food passes through me since the onset of IBS and I wonder if it is a malabsorption problem.

THANK ALL OF YOU SO MUCH. This has been so difficult to navigate. I even went to the Mayo Clinic and no one seems to know how to help. LPR is so frustrating!
    Last edited by guitarnola; 03-18-2009, 01:50 PM. Reason: spelling

guitarnola

I seem to have also bad LPR and seem to relate it to malabsorption.. My manometry indicated LES resting pressure of 22 and UES of 85.. they seem relatively normal, but i still feel although being thin (lost a lot of weight), my stomach is distended (almost like being thin and having a pounch).

Clearly looks like food sits more than longer (than it should). doctors are quick to point out anxiety and IBS whenever you complain of malabsorption.
    I even took ultrase for pancreatic insufficiency.. but no luck.. seems like the body is passing nutrients during elimination..

you are lucky in the fact that LPR is reaching until the throat, but once it goes to the other neighboring areas, its really horrible (the bad taste in mouth, white saliva, damaged teeth/gums etc..)

I have also had hair loss, and once which was think hair, is now almost disappearing slowly.. I was never afraid of damage to esophagus. I am seeing a doctor near princeton (3 months wait!) and hopefully she will attack the malabsorption (as LPR is a losing battle)..

strangely, there was only one single day, i noticed when there was no white saliva and i danced with joy, i could never get that day back, nor did i do anything differently.. I am changing my job position, as a last resort to see if there is some improvement with low stress.

hope you feel better, and get this behind you..

regards
    i_nelson

Comment

Laryngopharangeal reflux can be very difficult to diagnose without the proper testing equipment. You also have to find a doctor who believes it exists. Although I am sure there must be more docs out there that know about lpr than when I was first diagnosed, I saw two such doctors in the US....

Jamie Koufman is an otolaryngologist out of New York ......my esophageal doc told me that Dr. Koufman was considered to be the best otolaryngologist in the world. After six months of misdiagnoses and absolute suffering (to the extent that my throat would bleed), I found Dr. Koufman, who diagnosed me with the worse lpr she had ever seen, and who slowly helped me climb out of a horrific situation. LPR is her life -- it's all she does. When I saw a local otolaryngologist, I was told that Dr. Koufman was the one who was setting the standards for all of the other otolaryngologists in the country, and that they all watched what she was doing.

Michael Vaezi is at Vanderbilt in Nashville - one of the few stomach doctors who understands lpr, who looks for it, diagnoses it, etc. He is patient and kind, methodical and accommodating. He uses state of the art equipment and takes a great deal of time making sure the patient understands how the results of the tests were determined-- which is quite something, considering he is the head of the GI Department at a teaching hospital. You will get the impression that the patient comes first with him -- and his staff is terrific as well.

LPR is difficult because it's not as straightfoward as regular reflux -- it needs higher dosages of medications, stricter diets, etc. But first, you need to find a doctor who understands it, who can accurately diagnose you, and who is willing to work with you re proper doses of ppi's.

I wish you the best. b

Comment

thankx Buffy for the nice reply.

Actually, i work in Manhattan and seem close to Dr Kaufmans office, but i still find that they will pinpoint LPR which we know for sure is the case, but cannot provide an effective gameplan.

Although not a doctor, i find that in the field of medicine, one has to experience a problem and not study it 3rd hand..

The strangest part of my LPR is that I know i am having TLESR since even when i drink water it comes a bit in my nose.. (strangely i did have it many years, but I would think it was some freaky cold, since the nose is well-equiped to prevent the burn, to my bad luck for detection early.. I am also baffled that not even a bit of food or color of food cames back up, so it strange that the stomach is so perfect to churn it cleanly, but sends it back up in a white pure form.. I have even had carrot juice just to test how quickly the color could disappear when refluxing, and it does not even has a bit of the food trace. There are so many avenues we patients know where these researchers have no clue.
        As one of my friend who is a doctor in NY put it, its good that the debacle in wall-st will now start sending bright guys into the field of medicine instead of going into quant-strategy etc.. (i have so many friends who topped ivy-league schools but work in wall st). I seriously think LPR (at least the detection should have been found years ago)... they are more after cholestrol/TGL , RLS and other less-debilitating problems..

but, now we are stuck with the lousy problem which leaks acid in the most delicate part of our functioning.. damn.. (my kids for sure are going to not get a bit of it.. now that i know about it)..

best regards
        i_nelson

// thanks btw for the doctors reference, i am going to try out these good docs, as surgery is not definitely something i will every try..

Comment

Thank you Buffy and i_nelson! I live in New Orleans, but will be in New York in May and will try to see Dr. Kaufman. I wonder if her new product, Petigon, is available yet. I actually have been feeling a bit better lately. Have been having more good days than bad days. The LPR is about 50-60% better I would say.. not really sure why. I have had tried double dose ppi's before, but I have been on protonix most recently since Feb and have noticed an improvement. Also, my IBSD has been better and with that my hair loss has slowed. I was having ALOT of hair loss and now it is only a bit more than usual. The doctor's I have seen have been so quick to brush of the hair loss, but I know it is connected to my gastro problems.

Thanks again for your insights!!

Comment

Please help - my 13 year old diagonised with LPR

Originally posted by guitarnola View Post
            Thank you Buffy and i_nelson! I live in New Orleans, but will be in New York in May and will try to see Dr. Kaufman. I wonder if her new product, Petigon, is available yet. I actually have been feeling a bit better lately. Have been having more good days than bad days. The LPR is about 50-60% better I would say.. not really sure why. I have had tried double dose ppi's before, but I have been on protonix most recently since Feb and have noticed an improvement. Also, my IBSD has been better and with that my hair loss has slowed. I was having ALOT of hair loss and now it is only a bit more than usual. The doctor's I have seen have been so quick to brush of the hair loss, but I know it is connected to my gastro problems.

Thanks again for your insights!!
            Hi there!

My 13 year old daughter has come down with LPR.
            She is losing lots of hair, did you find anything that seemed to help ? Or stop the loss ? Please help me.

Thanks , Mita

Comment

Working...
            X