Reflux 3 weeks after Nissen Fundo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflux 3 weeks after Nissen Fundo

I had the Nissen Fundo Lapro 4 weeks ago and my recovery went very well. I had no trouble with pain, soreness, or getting back to normal. After a terrific 3 week recovery I started having reflux just as bad as before the surgery. I have not lifted anything too heavy or done anything that would undo the wrap. I have no pain in the area where the surgery was done. I'm wondering if the wrap is too loose or how would you know if it has come undone? I've contacted my surgeon and he wants me to take acifex for 10 days then quit and come see in a week later. Any help would be appreciated.

idaladoo,

Beaner (I'm not sure what his/her handle is on this new message board) experienced the same thing...feel free to pipe in Beaner . My understanding is that this happens to some people post fundo. Just because it feels like heartburn, doesn't necessarily mean that it is (it might be some sort of irritation of the esophagus). Whatever you do, don't expect the worst at this point. Has it been constant, or was it just one bad night? I had one night where I sucked on a throat lozange (sp??) and it sat in my esophagus all night (didn't make it past the wrap). That night I swore that I had heartburn, but it turns out that it was the liquid of the throat lozange that irritated my esophagus. Are you possibly eating something new during this period of your recovery? I'm sure that others will respond and provide more details. Try to relax and realize that there may be a very good reason (other than heartburn) why you're having the heartburn feeling? The success rate of these surgeries is very high and the odds are in your favor that it isn't heartburn. Take care.

Comment

heartburn after fundo

Idaladoo,

I had 2 fundo's. The first one was made too tight and I could not swallow anything. The second one was a success. Are you having any swallowing problems at all? What could be happening is that your wrap is tight and foods are basically not making it through the wrap to your stomach totally yet and are stagnating in that area and fermenting and that may be causing the burning. That's what I was told with my first wrap by my gastro doctor. Good Luck!

Nick

Comment

Re: your questions Nick

I didn't have any problems after surgery what so ever. Could swallow perfect. I was eating most foods in the 2nd week including bread and meat. I didn't have one sign of acid until the starting of the third week and it is just like it was before surgery.
        If the wrap would come undone would I have any other symptoms? I haven't noticed anything else. I was thinking it may be too loose since my recover has been so amazing. I can't belch so that makes me think that the wrap may be okay. Not sure why the acid is so bad in my thoat, glands, and chest. I'm taking aciphex again and the acid is breaking through. Any thoughts? Thanks

Comment

<i>I was eating most foods in the 2nd week including bread and meat.</i>

Well, this might be your problem. I started getting esoph. spasms in my 3rd week (and I was on a mostly liquid diet then) that lasted for another 2-3 weeks.

My surgeon told me absolutely no bread or meat until 4 weeks post-op but I was really chicken to eat "new" stuff and I didn't try meat until about 3 months post-op.

Comment

If you've checked out very many other post-fundo reports, you'll already know what I'm going to say. THIS IS NOT REFLUX! I'm very dismayed that your surgeon is giving you meds that will likely slow down your body's ability to heal, in fact.

What happens after surgery, sometimes weeks after calm, uneventful recovery, is that you will get swelling or other issues. You then feel just like you're having reflux again. It is very discouraging, but it is NORMAL.

What should you do? Drop back to easier, less challenging food. In a few days you'll feel OK again. Then slowly re-introduce more challenging food. This cycle might well occur again, and maybe even again. If it does, just drop back to easier food each time until it goes away.

Your body will heal just fine, IF you give it the time and care that it needs to do so. It isn't at all unusual for us to take weeks and weeks to recover. Be kind to your GI system, and all will be well.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Idaladoo

I absolutely agree with thistle...If you were eating normal foods at 2 weeks you problibly agravated an already tender esophagus. Inflamation is more than likely your problem. Go back to square 1 and use a very soft diet for a week or two and give your esophagus a chance to heal . Bread and meats are the LAST thing to introduce to your system.

Comment

Tom to Idaladoo

Hi Idaladoo,

I'll make it a concensus!! Bread and Meat are week 6-8 foods at least and probably a LOT later!! For your peace of mind, you might ask your Surgeon for a Barium Swallow. But, I must agree with Thistle and LSAT. Drop back to less challenging foods for a week or so until things calm down and then SLLOOOWWWLLLLY reintroduce your Re-arranged GI System to more challenging foods. Give the Bread and Meat a rest for a couple of months!!

Prayers,

Tom

Comment

Thanks for all the advice!

I think you all might be right. The aciphex is not working so I'm going back to soft foods. It is amazing that after reading all your notes and previous ones what a different experience I had. I was back to work the day after I came home from the hospital. I drank liquids for one week then tried soft foods for one day. It was so easy so I progressed to other foods and had no trouble. I can eat quite a bit of food, no bloating or gas, soreness, pain etc. I feel like I had a full recovery until this feeling of acid started which may be irritation. I'm going to start tomorrow on a soft diet. Again thanks for all your thoughts and good luck to all of you. Idaladoo

Comment

to Idaladoo

Hi, just to share my post FUNDO experiences, I am now three weeks post ops. My main problem was throat and also burning in the stomach. I still have most of my throat symptoms and also stomach cramps and pain, but that is all normal and I know it takes time to heal. First week after the surgery my throat felt good, but the next it got worse and actualy I started to have some acid in my mouth, or so it seemed like. Well I called my surgeon and he said that it's not acid, he said that food gets stuck in the esophagus (swelling) and sometimes it comes back up, thereofr we may feel like it's reflux, but it really isn't. He in fact told me to ignore all the symptoms before I drive myself nuts, he said there will be many things that will make me think something is wrong and they will be very normal. About bread , he said no bread for a while as it is very hard to get down and may aggrevate the esophagus so I agree with everyone that you should take it easy and go back to soft food for a while. Try those Ensure and Boost shakes, they are good and will go down easy and will give you vitamins and needed calories. Also I found that warm tea helps my stomach to relax and feel better so you may want to drink that too. Good luck and keep us posted. Listen to people on this board, they know what they are talking about, they helped me a lot with my problems.

Comment

To Idaladoo from Nick

Idaladoo,

After my first surgery I had 10 dilitations in about a years span because my wrap was way too tight. After all the dilitations it did not help me att all. I was totally just the opposite from you. Icouldn't swallow anything. If your unable to burp that should mean that you do have a wrap but maybe not in the right place. It could of been done that way or it could of slipped. They call this a slipped wrap. On the other spectrum, again, you might be in that slow healing group, and that's OK also. Listen to the surgeon and if he is a good, skilled surgeon, he will help you. Just give it time to heal and you will know if something is wrong. I'm not trying to scare you with the first set of information about the slipped wrap. I'm just being true from what I've learned about this operation over the years of researching it. God Bless!

Nick

Comment

5 weeks Fundo

I was doing well on soft foods and soft meats, chicken. Then I ate bread and it put me in the hospital with chest pain similar to a heart attack. It was an esphogeal spasam. So, no bread but the throat tightness and chest pain remain. Is Esphogeal spasm going to go on? I put bread and meat on the back burner until summer! My other complaint is gas and I also have Chronic Fatigue. Anyone else with Chronic Fatigue as a diagnosis?

Comment

linderlu

Hi, I am four weeks post FUNDO and I still have the throat tightness and irritation. It almost feels like a burning sensation, but I think that may be normal. I don't have any regurgitation and I can't really burp much so I don't think the acid would be still coming up. What you guys think? I get bloated and full quick but I know that is normal. Beano and Gas X help with that (Thanks Tom). I also get the chocking feeling when and after I eat, I don't know what it is. It seems to me that the food irritates the throat or the top of the esophagus and it gives me that feeling. then the anxiety kicks in and it makes it worse. Did any of you guys experience that and it is normal? Also I still didn't get my voice all back, well sometimes it is ok but a lot of times when I talk my thorat starts to hurt and I have to cough. Anyone had that problem and how long it will take to clear up?

Comment

hey guys

Hi, I am four weeks post FUNDO and I still have the throat tightness and irritation. It almost feels like a burning sensation, but I think that may be normal. I don't have any regurgitation and I can't really burp much so I don't think the acid would be still coming up. What you guys think? I get bloated and full quick but I know that is normal. Beano and Gas X help with that (Thanks Tom). I also get the chocking feeling when and after I eat, I don't know what it is. It seems to me that the food irritates the throat or the top of the esophagus and it gives me that feeling. then the anxiety kicks in and it makes it worse. Did any of you guys experience that and it is normal? Also I still didn't get my voice all back, well sometimes it is ok but a lot of times when I talk my thorat starts to hurt and I have to cough. Anyone had that problem and how long it will take to clear up?

Comment

Tom to Milan

[i]Originally posted by Milan [/i]
                              [B]Hi, I am four weeks post FUNDO and I still have the throat tightness and irritation. It almost feels like a burning sensation, but I think that may be normal. I don't have any regurgitation and I can't really burp much so I don't think the acid would be still coming up. What you guys think? I get bloated and full quick but I know that is normal. Beano and Gas X help with that (Thanks Tom). I also get the chocking feeling when and after I eat, I don't know what it is. It seems to me that the food irritates the throat or the top of the esophagus and it gives me that feeling. then the anxiety kicks in and it makes it worse. Did any of you guys experience that and it is normal? Also I still didn't get my voice all back, well sometimes it is ok but a lot of times when I talk my thorat starts to hurt and I have to cough. Anyone had that problem and how long it will take to clear up? [/B]
                              Hi Luke,

Ya Welcome - on the Beano and Gas-X!!!

Are you eating "Dry" or are you drinking along with your meals??? Relax Luke, it could be Esoph Spasms. Try this: Drink some warm tea before you eat and then "Room Temp" water with your meals.

Your doc probably told you that it's gonna take MONTHS for the throat symptoms to go away completely!! Sharon on the Old Board pointed me in the direction of a Speech Therapist, and she helped me get my voice back much sooner than I probably would have on my own. Since I'm a Gospel Singer (Amateur) that was VERY Important to me!! It's a little Pricy, but it is really worth checking into!! They can teach you Breathing and Relaxation Techniques, so you don't stress out your Vocal Chords!! Check it out!! And if you have the right doctor, they can get the Ins. to pick up part of the Tab!!!

For the Throat Pain, try some Slippery Elm or Sassafrass Tea and/or Aloe Vera Juice!! Hang in there Bud, it really does get better!!

Prayers,

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X