This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd Nissen 3 weeks and still have reflux

Well I had my second Nissen 3 weeks ago. I have to say the recovery on this one has been much more difficult than the first which is to be expected since my surgeon said the amount of scar tissue I had was very extensive and a typically 3 hour surgery took almost 6. Anyway I am still experiencing reflux among other symptoms and was wondering if anyone has had this post surgery and it resolved in time. I am worried this means the surgery has failed.

Comment

Dintyjo1

I had the Hill and haven't experienced reflux afterward, but seems as though many do with all of these surgeries...it's not really reflux per se, it's more of a sensation of reflux. Give it some time, and it may well resolve itself. I'm sure some of the other 2nd time around Nissen folks can help you out.

Comment

hi

can i ask how u r doing these days?; i am 10 months post op partial wrap with hernia repair; can't eat and living on shakes with no quality of life; my nausea is daily, debiliating, intolerable and extreme; my stomach pains r intense and forget swallowing and eating as i can't; have no appetite and seriously feel like i will die because of this; am a single disabled mom losing my house and everything moving to shelter while close to puking daily; any advice on how to find the right surgeon cause i definitely picked the wrong one?; any idea what the death rate is for these subsequent surgeries and success rate?; can u just fix a hernia without a wrap as i have always believed i needed?

QUOTE=birdbybird;47099]I was asked by Buffy to provide the post-op instructions that were given to me by my surgeon, Dr. Adrian Park at the University of Maryland Medical Center. He is an expert in acid reflux surgery and has been a great source of detailed information for me.

He was very emphatic that I adhere to the post-fundo diet he provided -- without exception or variation. The diet is designed to help proper healing of the esophagus and stomach. He believes that if you don’t follow the diet, you could prematurely stretch the area that was corrected by the surgery and cause some damage. (FYI - while still in the hospital following the procedure, I was not allowed to eat or drink anything except ice chips until I had an esophagram the morning after surgery to evaluate that fluids would properly empty into my stomach. Afterwards, I was given jello and apple juice.)

Here are Dr. Park’s diet instructions.

1. Your diet will progress slowly in stages, from just liquids to a normal diet. For most patients, it will take 8 weeks to return to a normal diet. (There are plenty of us on this board who have required significantly longer than 8 weeks!)

2. You may lose weight. (He did not seem to be overly concerned with weight loss. I lost 30 lbs after my first fundo and 10 more after the second. I could afford it!) Take a liquid multi-vitamin supplement initially – you can switch to a chewable vitamin after week 2.

3. You should eat small, frequent meals (6 - 8 a day). Start with 6 ounces of food per meal. If you do not have any problems, increase each meal by 1 ounce every 2 or 3 days.

4. For 2 weeks, take only liquid (not solid) drugs as prescribed, then you may switch to chewable or crushed – where appropriate – until about 8 weeks.
        5. Eat only until you are full.

6. Drink plenty of fluids with meals. Try switching bites of food with sips of fluids.

7. Eat slowly and chew your food well.

8. Sit upright when eating or drinking.

9. Remain in an upright position for 20 minutes after eating. Do not recline.
        10. Adjust the temperature of the food for your comfort level.

11. You may use spices as tolerated.

12. Walking will improve digestion of food and help alleviate gas.

13. Avoid alcohol, smoking, caffeine and bubbly drinks.

14. Do not use a straw.

15. Do not chew gum.

16. Do not eat dry, hard foods (e.g., pretzels)

17. The first week, you will remain on clear liquids with no caffeine and no bubbly drinks (e.g., soda/seltzer/carbonated water). Clear liquids include: water, apple or cranberry juice, Kool-Aid, broth, popsicles, Jell-O, decaffeinated tea and coffee (without cream). You can get extra calories and protein from high-protein clear liquid supplements such as Boost Breeze, Resource Fruit Beverage or NuBasics Juice Drink, available at a local drug store.

18. Starting with week 2, you can have liquid and pureed foods with no chunks. Foods can be pureed in a blender. Examples: cream of wheat, cooked oatmeal (pureed), pureed pasta, pureed vegetables, vegetable juice, baby food vegetables, moist mashed potatoes, fruit juice without pulp or seeds, pureed fruit, smooth applesauce, baby food fruit, pureed meat, baby food meat, smooth puddings and custards, milk, milkshakes, ice cream, creamy style yogurt, pureed cottage cheese, sherbet, pureed soups, flavored fruit drinks, instant breakfast drinks, Ensure, Boost. (Not all patients will progress through the stages at the same rate. If discomfort increases, go back to the previous stage for a few days.)

19. Weeks 3 -8 you should eat soft foods. Examples: hot cereals, cold cereals that soften with milk, crackers & biscuits that soften with liquids, cooked, finely chopped pasta, moist mashed potatoes, soft cooked finely chopped vegetables, soft canned fruit (no pineapple), soft peeled ripe fruit such as bananas, moist minced mean with gravies, soft cooked scrambled eggs, canned fresh or frozen fish without bones, smooth puddings and custards, milk, cream, buttermilk, chocolate milk, milkshakes, ice cream, frozen yogurt, whipped creamy custard style yogurt, cottage cheese, shredded soft cheeses, grated hard cheeses.

20. Foods NOT allowed until after week 8: bread, rolls, muffins and bagels, granola, shredded wheat, pancakes, waffles, rice, raw vegetables, corn, coleslaw, salads, baked potato with skin, fruits with seeds, nuts, peanut butter, raisins, dates, hard fruit with skin, dried or candied fruit, un-chopped meat, dry meat, fish with bones, yogurt that contains fruit or nuts, un-grated hard cheeses, coconut, popcorn, pickles, carbonated drinks, caffeinated drinks, chips, alcohol.[/QUOTE]

Comment

hi

i'm in new york state; can u recommend anyone?; i'm 10 months post op partial wrap with hernia repair and can't eat and live on shakes with the world's worst nausea ever hands down, extreme stomach pain and forget swallowing as everything gets stuck and increases symptoms; my life ended 10 months ago; who's the best in my state to try and give it back to me?

Originally posted by Buffy View Post
          Montemnm --

I spoke with Dr. Aye re a redo, and he told me that he preferred not to redo someone elses initial fundoplication. That was about three and a half years ago -- perhaps he is now more satisfied with his second attempt results?

I had also been told by Dr. Robert Wright, another Hill surgeon, once you have had a fundoplication, it is like working with a hole... and that he couldn't go in and turn the fundoplication into a Hill.

You're in FL, right? Have you considered Dr. Rosemurgy in Tampa? He might know how to do Hill repairs....and certainly knows how to do fundo re-dos.

Do you still burn....or are you definitely refluxing??

I wish you the very best of luck. b

Comment

hi

how r u feeling?; i'm in syracuse, ny; 10mo. post op hernia repair partial wrap by the wrong general surgeon; can't eat and force shakes down with nausea meds; have the world's worst nausea ever, extreme stomach pain and forget swallowing; who did yours? nancy

Originally posted by Marybeth View Post
            Hi Birdbybird!! Thanks for writing back. Your scenario sounds just like mine.

I am so happy you're doing well. Gives me great hope. My Doc is a expert in this type of surgery. Really all he does.

I still have the dumping syndrome, but seems to have gotten better since I am on a PPI again. I mentioned this to my hubby, cause the dumping started after the first surgery, but also I had stopped taking PPI's too. So now I am wondering about that. Either way it is much nicer for things to be a little more normal. I can leave the house now without worrying...

Our LPR symptoms are almost identical. I figured that getting over the second surgery would be harder but if I get better it's worth it. I've always had to watch what I eat as I have Colitis and IBS too. So that is nothing new to me. I eat a very bland and low fat diet for the most part. Though once in a while I do slip up and then I get sick, but it's so worth it to eat a piece of pizza once in a great while! Been doing this for about forty years now, started when I was a little girl. Just tired of the game.

montemnm, I am in Western NY, Canandaigua, my doc is in Rochester. Also I had my surgery in Dec of 06. I did well for a while, the the LPR started again. I've had some GERD symptoms too, but not like prior to the sugery.
            I thank you all so much for your kind words, thoughts and prayers. I will keep you all in my prayers as well. Marybeth

Comment

how r u doing?

Originally posted by Marybeth View Post
              Hi Buffy, Yes I'm still here. Thanks for the info. I will look him.

The doc who did my surgery is Thomas Watson, Asst. Director of Thoraic Surgery at Strong Memorial Hosptial in Rcchester, he also has priviledges at Highland Hosptial, which I've been looking at, as their post op infection rate is lower than Strong. Which is below the State average!!

I will certainly look this Doc up and very much appreciate your posting the info for me.

I'm back on my double dose of Nexium, so the voice is getting much better!!
              It took almost a month to get the Insurance Co the approve it tho.

Kinda makes me feel better than he only does them open as that is what my surgeon said. Thanks again, hope everyone is feeling as well as they can!!

Hey Buffy do you have a link or hosptial affiliation I can check out, not finding him...

Comment

nanc1234....Just so you understand...the posts you are replying to are 3 years old. You might not get replys

Comment

nanc1234

Sometime members subscribe to certain threads and they will receive an e-mail whenever someone posts a message to that thread. If they still have the same e-mail address that they used when they registered to the forum I may be able to contact them as well.

Comment

Surgeon in New York/nanci

So sorry it has taken me so long to find this - looks like my emails are automatically routed to other places on my computer.

Dr. Jeffrey Peters is an excellent surgeon and I believe he now practices out of Rochester NY. Then there is Barry Salky (sp?) out of New York City. Dr. Peters worked with the DeMeesters, THE fundoplication group in California.

I hope you are doing better. So so sorry to hear about what you are going through. Until one has felt this pain, they simply cannot relate to how debilitating it is. Honestly, I hope you are still with us.

So sorry
                    b

Comment

Working...
                    X