Post op Nissen Fundoplication

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post op Nissen Fundoplication

Hi I have never written on these forums before but have always read them! I live in the UK and had my anterior nissen fundoplication 11 days ago after years of suffering from reflux! It turned out I also had a hiatus hernia! I was looking for some advice as I must admit the after care from my hospital has not been great at all, I was not given any advice when I was discharged!

I started on a liquid diet for 7 days then advanced to thicker soups but yesterday and today when I was swallowing apple juice or milk I had severe pain in my chest that I could only describe as feeling like a lot of trapped gas it made it impossible to swallow and took ages to calm down! Has anyone else experienced this and if its normal! I am 39 years old and had reflux for 15 years but severe in the last 7! I am also noticing today I have a lot of phlegm in my throat.

I realise I'm in the early stages of recovery but just wondered if anyone had any advice.

Thanks

Congratulations on your surgery! What you are experiencing is pretty normal. The issue is that you likely aren't ready for more challenging food (not that what you're eating could be called "food" exactly.... ) Drop back to liquids, and once you're feeling OK, slowly and gradually introduce thicker liquids, until you are comfortable with them full-time. Then you can start having soft food. If you're like me, you probably will have to drop back a few times and gradually re-introduce a more difficult level. Your innards are still healing and it takes time.

Surgeons seem to be fond of telling us that recovering is easy. But it is not. It takes time. It will happen though! Hang in there and keep us posted!

If my suggestions don't work, and you're still feeling this way in another week, call your surgeon. But if you do what I suggest, you likely will be fine.

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply Thistle, I was getting quite worried. I had the anterior fundoplication which I was told was a half wrap so I was getting worried that it didn't work although since surgery I have actually slept which is great!
      I also appear to still have my reflux cough but I'm not sure if that goes in time! Again thank you as I mentioned my after care has not been great! Do you mind me asking how long ago was your surgery and do you see it as a success?

Comment

Ah, so your fundoplication was a Toupet, not a Nissen! A Nissen is a full wrap. A Toupet is a half wrap.

I had my Nissen in 2000, due to the fact that I was missing an LES, an unusual birth defect. For some reason this didn't bother me until I came down with viral pneumonia followed by brochitis one year. Then it took me 18 years to get any doctor to figure out what my problem was, so my journey wasn't a happy one.

I am beyond thrilled with the results of the surgery. Recovery took a year (I had to follow the steps I told you about many times, and they did work). That was the only down side. Most people, if they "behave," recover pretty quickly.

Surgeons continue to throw around the "you'll be fine in three weeks" advice, and I think that isn't realistic for many folks. But I do know of people who have fit this time frame. You find problems here, not the folks who recover easily, of course.

Comment

Hi twinmom....Just a comment to add to what Thistle said... She is a little ahead of me, I had my surgery in 2002. I have not take any meds since (aside from an occasional Tums). In regard to your 'reflux cough'. When you have the surgery, it does not fix previous reflux problems. It generally stops additional damage from starting. You may need to take a PPI (whatever they call them in UK) for a few weeks to calm down your cough.

Comment

Thistle thanks again for your response, god you have had it worse I'm glad things are working out for you! I never knew there was a different name I think doctors here are not as up to date with this op as everyone else! Also thanks LSAT I was unaware of that my doctors have told me very little about what to expect or what I will be like!

Like tonight I are a little egg which went down ok but I had some water with lime in it but I suddenly had a reflux choking episode which freaked me out, I lose my voice and feel like I can't swallow and now for the last hour I have felt like it will happen again and now scared something is wrong xx

Comment

Glad I could help! I sure would hate to think that all the problems I had weren't of some value.

I think very few people use Toupet, although it would be helpful if they did. The two surgeries are essentially the same, as far as I know, except for how far the wrap goes.

Lime is citric acid, which can be a trigger, so perhaps that's what caused your reaction? The best approach is to take things slow and easy, don't let any one "episode" scare you, and you will heal. And then you can come back and help others, if you have the time to do so.

Comment

Choking post fundoplication

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me? I had a half wrap fundoplication in March 2013 and things were going great till 6 weeks ago when I started having a burning pain in one area as I swallowed and over the last week I have had several really bad choking incidents which I used to have before the surgery, I'm a little worried that something has gone wrong since my surgery nearly 5mths ago! I'm seeing my consultant in a couple days as I'm starting to panic? Does anyone have any advice or could shed some light on why this is happening!

Thanks

Comment

This might be normal, but ask your doctor when you see him/her.

It is always possible that you think you are healed, but you aren't yet, and your eating habits are stressing your esophagus (and thus your wrap). If so, you are getting this reaction. Sometimes we have to avoid our trigger foods after surgery. Maybe you've been eating trigger foods. If necessary, drop back to easier foods until you're feeling normal again.

Hang in there, and keep us posted!

Comment

to twinmom

Just got to wondering how you are doing, now that a number of months have gone by. If you are still around, I'd love it if you would leave a note to let me know. Thank you!

Comment

Hi Thistle,

I'm high jacking this thread because I don't know another way to contact you on here. I have read many posts on this forum and am amazed by all the great advice and knowledge you have. Nyer has been helping me with some GERD questions I have. It seems the two of you RULE this place (I mean that in a good way). My reason for reaching out to you is I noticed you are in California as am I, the SF Bay Area. I was wondering if you would mind sharing were in California you are or what GI doctor you go to as I am not happy with my doctors here. Thanks in advance.

Hazel

Comment

Hi Hazel,

Nice to meet you! Yes, NYer is an amazing resource, and folks here are so fortunate that she takes the time to share her expertise with us. Modesty prevents me from saying anything about myself and my value to people who are dealing with surgery.

The Bay Area is a large place, and I'm sure lots of good docs are available. My GI doc is long retired (my surgery was 14 years ago), so I cannot help you, I'm afraid. I spent 18 years trying to find someone who knew what he was doing. I ultimately got help from a non-GI doctor at PAMF. And that doctor led me to the right GI guy for my case. I also have seen GI people at Stanford and at UCSF, but I cannot gauge what they know about GERD. Not sure what aspect of GERD you want a doctor for, by the way.

Read my posts (pinned at the top of this forum) re: how to assess whether the doctor is a good match for you. Lots of sample questions there should be able to help you work out how to lead an interview. (You are hiring the person to work for you, not setting up a relationship to do that person's bidding. You likely already know this!)

Good luck. And let me know if you need anything else.

Comment

Ahem.
                          This is so nice for my ego. <---courtseying
                          Thank you goils.

And since Ms. Thistle is too modest, I will tell you that she is truly AWESOME. And she knows about all this surgery stuff (I know nothing about the surgery).

Comment

Hi Thistle and NYer

Def not looking into the surgery route just yet..maybe in 5 10 years if I'm still dealing with it. I'm just looking for a GI that actually knows what they are talking about and not a pill pusher. For now I'm sticking to the all natural healing process. You both seem to be wonderful people and so glad things are going well for both of you

Hazel

Comment

Thanks for clarifying, Hazel! If you aren't a candidate for surgery, then you would be better off posting in the regular GERD forum. This one is just for folks who are on track for it, recovering from it, and so forth. Hang in there, and keep on mining the site for help!

Comment

Working...
                              X