How is this Stretta?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is this Stretta?

Has anybody undergone Stretta? How good is the result? I am considering it now, but don't know much about the results. Thanks.

Stretta

I was improved only very, very slightly after my Stretta. I don't have as much asthma/gurgling since, but it definitely did not cure my reflux. Randy had greater luck with it. Look up his posts. It was really a nothing procedure, but I had one of the pioneers at Mayo doing it. Paid for it out of pocket - yikes!!!!

Comment

Hi
      Both Monika And I Have Had Stretta ,both Failed.i Dont Think Its Gonna Work .if It Is Free Give It A Try.
      Hani

Comment

Originally posted by DianeS
        I was improved only very, very slightly after my Stretta. I don't have as much asthma/gurgling since, but it definitely did not cure my reflux. Randy had greater luck with it. Look up his posts. It was really a nothing procedure, but I had one of the pioneers at Mayo doing it. Paid for it out of pocket - yikes!!!!
        Thank you for your reply. Is gurgling the same as cracking sounds from the throat? I have this problem, very very bad. Every time I drink water or clear my throat, there is this werid cracking sound from the throat. It almost drive me crazy. I have the LPR, mostly the Laryngitis/pharyngitis problem. If Stretta can relief this weird sound from throat, I definitely will go for it.

Do you know what are the common side effects of this procedure? Does it have those side effects from Nessin Fundo? Thanks a lot!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HANI
          Hi
          Both Monika And I Have Had Stretta ,both Failed.i Dont Think Its Gonna Work .if It Is Free Give It A Try.
          Hani

Thanks. My insurance may cover about 60%. How much does it cost typically? Do they do it for free??? By the way, where did you do it at Chicargo? I am in midwest, and heard that the closest places to get Stretta are Chicargo or cleveland.

Comment

Hi
            Stretta Cost Me With Endoscopy And Biopcy 4000cash .stretta By It Self About 2500.the Gi Who Did Mine Is Not Profissional Which Later I Came To Know About That ,but There Are So Many Dr Doing All The Proceedures Like Endocinch ,plicator And Stretta,dr Alan 847 459 3345 Also Dr Arun Auri At Resuruction Profissional Hospital /chicago (look Up The Ph No From The 411) The Side Effect Is None And You Never Have Any Side Effect Like The Fundo Surgery.

Comment

Stretta details

I had ZERO side effects from Stretta. My surgery took two hours - they didn't even need to intubate me during anesthesia, so I was really lucky. I went to work in two days - was in the U.K. for a grueling conference in six. Yes - it was a crackling sound that was eliminated, but I can't compare yours to mine. It happened when I breathed and swallowed. It was maddening. It gave me asthma. I think I may not experience it anymore because that part of my esophagus is deadened. Anyway, I still have reflux, LPR, but that other part is gone.

NOW - At the time, my insurance considered all Stretta procedures experimental and would not pay for it. I went to Mayo clinic where Dr. Fleischer did the surgery - one of its pioneers. He was amazing. I paid $6K out of pocket, FYI for the surgery, Bravo monitoring and stomach emptying test. I had had a manometry w/another doc fortunately.....

Comment

thanks

Originally posted by HANI
                Hi
                Stretta Cost Me With Endoscopy And Biopcy 4000cash .stretta By It Self About 2500.the Gi Who Did Mine Is Not Profissional Which Later I Came To Know About That ,but There Are So Many Dr Doing All The Proceedures Like Endocinch ,plicator And Stretta,dr Alan 847 459 3345 Also Dr Arun Auri At Resuruction Profissional Hospital /chicago (look Up The Ph No From The 411) The Side Effect Is None And You Never Have Any Side Effect Like The Fundo Surgery.

thanks a lot, Hani. What do you mean by "the Gi Who Did Mine Is Not Profissional"? I checked the curon medical website, and Resuruction Profissional Hospital was listed there without the docs' names, which is kind of strange.

Comment

I had ZERO side effects from Stretta. My surgery took two hours - they didn't even need to intubate me during anesthesia, so I was really lucky. I went to work in two days - was in the U.K. for a grueling conference in six. Yes - it was a crackling sound that was eliminated, but I can't compare yours to mine. It happened when I breathed and swallowed. It was maddening. It gave me asthma. I think I may not experience it anymore because that part of my esophagus is deadened. Anyway, I still have reflux, LPR, but that other part is gone.

NOW - At the time, my insurance considered all Stretta procedures experimental and would not pay for it. I went to Mayo clinic where Dr. Fleischer did the surgery - one of its pioneers. He was amazing. I paid $6K out of pocket, FYI for the surgery, Bravo monitoring and stomach emptying test. I had had a manometry w/another doc fortunately.....
                  Thank you, DianeS. That's great. Mayo clinic is in MN, right? Do they have clinic near IL/OH/KY area? I really want to get a doctor that is very good. I am quite scared of surgeons. By the way, how do you find a doctor who is very good, as you mention, "one of its pioneers"? Thanks.

Comment

Doctor in your area

I'm from Cincinnati and I would start by looking at the University of Cincinnati for the head of gastroenterology. That's where I'd start. I went to the Mayo Clinic here in Scottsdale AZ. There's one in Rochester MN, one in Jacksonville FL - none in the tri-state area.

Good luck!

Comment

Sorry that's University of Cincinnati Medical Center

I'm tired. It's one of the best medical schools in the eastern U.S. They have terrific docs there.

Comment

Thank you

I'm tired. It's one of the best medical schools in the eastern U.S. They have terrific docs there.
                        DianeS, thanks a lot for your helpful info. Wish you best luck. Take care.

Comment

wish this surgey was effective,im hoping gastro solutions esphox is the new surgey lets pray..
                          TM

Comment

I also had the stretta procedure done about 3 months ago.... it didn't really do anything for me either. When I had a manometry test done prior to the procedure it said that the entire esophageal body had very weak contractions and a very weak LES.... I guess it's not very useful for someone who has a defective LES. I think it's really designed for people who have normal LES pressure but get lot of reflux from transient relaxations of the LES.

Side effects aren't a problem though, at least not in the long run. I have really severe aerophagia causing a ridiculous amt of belching, and for a few days the inflammation from the procedure made it impossible to belch so I got incredibly bloated for a few days afterwards (doctors tell me "then you've experienced a preview of the side effects of the fundo"), and hiccuping was pretty painful. But after about 2 weeks I was right back to the way it was.

Comment

Alvin,

do yourself a favor and don't get the stretta done. It doesn't usually work and it's just a waste of money. I had stretta done about 5 years ago and it did nothing for my reflux. At the time I only had heartburn and regurgitation but it was easly controlled by Nexium. Soon after stretta I started getting much worse symptoms - chest pains, throat pains and sorness, neck tightness and many many other symptoms I would never think acid reflux xould cause. After taking Nexium 2-3 times a day and feeling worse and worse I contacted Dr. Salky who did my FUNDO surgery and after the recovery I feel much better. He told me that my LES stopped working and he in fact said it was most likely caused by stretta. SO my advise to you - don't get stretta as it may mess you up even more. If your symptoms are unbearable, you should look into surgery. Good Luck.

Luke

Comment

Working...
                              X